When we talk about sustainability, we take in account the three core elements of sustainability: Economic Growth, Social Inclusion and Environment Protection. The Sustainable Development Goals cover these three elements.
As we know that the global goals can be described by three characteristics:
- Universality: The global goals are designed in such a way that both developing and developed countries can align their projects according to these goals. These are designed to benefit everyone living anywhere.
- Integration: The global goals are interconnected to each other. It means that we can’t aim to achieve any single goal, we have to achieve them all to bring a positive change in the society. Also they are not positioned in any particular hierarchy or priority. Each goal is linked to other ones directly and indirectly so if we want to achieve them, we have to achieve them all.
- Transformation: To achieve these goals, we need to make such fundamental changes about how we live on Earth. And we must transform the challenges into opportunities.
The 17 goals can be summarized as the 5 Pillars that provide us a comprehensive overview of all the global goals.
- Peace (This will help to foster peaceful, just and inclusive societies throughout the world)
- No Poverty (SDG 1)
- Gender Equality (SDG 5)
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (SDG 16)
- People (Focus to end poverty in all its forms, ensuring dignity and equality for all)
- Zero hunger (SDG 2)
- Good health and wellbeing (SDG 3)
- Quality Education (SDG 4)
- Prosperity (Ensuring everyone’s prosperity and fulfilling lives in harmony with nature)
- Affordable and Clean energy (SDG 7)
- Decent work and economic growth (SDG 8)
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure (SDG 9)
- Reduced inequalities (SDG 10)
- Sustainable cities and communities (SDG 11)
- Planet (To protect our planet’s natural resources and taking climate action for our future generations)
- Clean water and Sanitation (SDG 6)
- Responsible consumption and production (SDG 12)
- Climate action (SDG 13)
- Life below water (SDG 14)
- Life on land (SDG 15)
- Partnership for the goals (SDG 17: Achieving the goals by forming a solid partnerships with others)
These are not only 5 pillars but these are the 5 lifelines that encourage everyone to take positive action to save this planet and ensuring a harmonious life for everyone living on this planet and for the generations to come.
By: Muhammad Tahir Naeem Khan