Requisition ID: req1097
Job Title: Senior Technical Manager – Livelihoods
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been operational in Lebanon since late 2012, when it conducted a number of rapid assessments focusing on the risks and violence faced by women and girls among the Syrian refugee population, and on the economic impact of the crisis. A livelihoods assessment done in September 2012 followed by an Emergency Market Mapping Analysis (EMMA) in March 2013, a Business Climate Assessment in Akkar and an SME Overview in Beirut and Mount Lebanon, found that the crisis in Syria and influx of refugees into Lebanon had a significant economic impact on host communities while the refugee population lived in a precarious situation. Based on the findings of these assessments, the IRC initiated and further developed its programming in Lebanon; IRC currently delivers a range of integrated Protection, Livelihoods and Education services to Syrian refugees and host communities across the country.
The Senior Manager for Livelihoods of the Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) program is the technical leader (with oversight and support from the ERD Coordinator) for all programmatic aspects related to IRC’s livelihoods programs in Lebanon. Programs include Conditional Cash Transfer, Employment Support Services (job counseling and jobseekers’ capacity building), Life Skills and Vocational Training, on-the-job training and microenterprise support – all coordinated through IRC’ s Livelihoods Centers in Akkar, Mount Lebanon, Tripoli and Wadi Khaled, as well as private sector engagement efforts such as SME support, access to finance and coordination with Lebanese employers.
Technical Quality and Program Development
- Provides technical and management leadership to IRC Lebanon’s livelihoods activities in accordance with best practice and IRC policy, including conditional cash transfer, employment services, vocational training, apprenticeship / on-the-job training, microenterprise support and SME development.
- Advances IRC’s broader economic engagement by conceptualizing and implementing strategies to further engage private sector and economic stakeholders, including businesses, cooperatives, business support entities, local and national level government and NGOs
- Through technical and management oversight, ensures a high quality of programming is being conducted on a day to day basis at IRC’s Livelihoods Centers -in coordination with the Senior Operations Manager.
- Provides technical oversight to employment services and outreach to ensure they are being implemented within international best practice.
- Coordinates with IRC protection sectors to mainstream protection principles into all livelihoods work, including coordinating with protection staff embedded in the Livelihoods Centers.
- Ensures appropriate methodologies and technical approaches are developed for all program activities – working with the ERD Coordinator to ensure global best practice to programming is applied
- Supports development of research agenda for livelihoods work along with ERD Coordinator.
Grant Planning & Implementation
- Ensures regular field monitoring and modification to ongoing programming as required.
- Contributes to regular donor and internal reporting.
- Has budget authority to pre-approved limits and contributes to budget development and compliance under the direction of the ERD Coordinator
- Together with the M&E Manager, supports in the implementation of a full monitoring and evaluation framework of all livelihoods activities (aligned with ERD’s Livelihoods Information Management System and other M&E tools), as well as learning strategies, and adapts them to the different program methodologies
- Provides direction and monitors staff in implementation of their work plans and technical quality of activities
- Directly supervises Conditional Cash Manager, Private Sector Engagement Manager and Employment Support Services Senior Officer.
- Provides technical supervision of Vocational and Life Skills Trainings’ supervisors in coordination with the Senior Operations Manager
- Sets specific goals and expectations and provides regular, positive and constructive feedback to staff
- Builds capacity of the team under his/her supervision in livelihoods support methodologies, as well as management capacity.
- Maintains open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Ensures timely completion and submission of interim and annual performance reviews.
- If/as required, identifies staff performance issues and works with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies
- Responsible for adhering to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures
- Oversees IRC’s relationship with implementing partners specific to this project
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: ERD Coordinator
Position directly supervises: Conditional Cash Manager, Private Sector Engagement Manager and Employment Support Services Senior Officer. (Akkar, Mount Lebanon and Tripoli)
Other working relationships: Senior ERD Operations Manager, M&E Manager, Livelihoods Centers’ Managers, Partnerships unit, Finance and Operations teams, Livelihoods Core Working Group
- BA/BS Degree in international development, economics, food security or related field, and/or related certification required; MA/MS a plus
- Minimum of four-years of professional experience in project management, with specific experience in livelihoods promotion, cash programs or enterprise development
- Prior experience working in emergency settings or insecure environments preferred.
- Strong program technical skills. Preferred budget management skills
- Strong written and oral communication, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- Must be capable of applying their skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training and the transfer of technical capacity.
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Fluency in English required, Arabic a distinct advantage
How to apply: reliefweb